Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Stop Creeping Me Out, Stars

First of all, I'd just like to say there's no timetable on Russian's return. He's still in the little fabric and plastic boot, that poor man. Godspeed to you, Russian; however, Bouche should be returning shortly - as in, before the month is out, I believe. Both items per The Amazing Heika.

Secondly, I got my season ticket holder renewal information in the mail today. I have a partial season ticket plan through the Stars, and if you've been conscious in Stars-land, you know that Jeff Cogen wants to fill the AAC with as many full season seat holders as humanly possible.

For someone my age in their early 20's, a full season is just not possible. While I do not have a husband or children or own my own home, I am still trying to put back more money for college, pay off old student loans, pay down credit card debt from college and so on and so forth. Even with the cheapest seats, 2 seats at $13 per seat works out to $1,092 assuming a full season comes with 42 games -- and that's before playoff games, which is the additional information that came with my packet. $1,100, if we're rounding up, is still a pretty hefty chunk of change for regular season tickets if you think about it. (That's if you're sitting in the rafters!)

Sadly, I don't have a scanner, but my unmitigated joy at tearing open the nice packet the Stars sent me was tempered by the actual packet itself. My expression, no doubt, went from joy to shock to utter confusion.

The front itself is black with a white fade at the bottom. The Stars logo is there with the text "Remember your first kiss?"

My train of thought was probably something like this:

"Huh? What? Why do they want to know that? What does kissing have to do with hockey? When WAS my first kiss? Ewww, I don't want to remember THAT! What in the good Christ is going on here?"

Then I flipped it open to discover the fold-out of Mike Modano kissing the Stanley Cup. Okay, I get it now, Stars, but I have to wonder who thought this little marketing ploy up?

The billboards were way better.

2 comments:

Cat said...

Once I graduate they should hire me. I couldn't ever do anything that creepy. I mean seriously, wtf.

Caitlin said...

Once I graduate they should hire me. I couldn't ever do anything that creepy. I mean seriously, wtf.



It's so weird. I'll have to show it to you.

Psh, like I can order a full season anyway! (I know Brett Hull didn't really sign that letter you sent me, either, Stars!)