Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Notes And Thoughts Before Game 4 (On The Stars And...Everyone Else)

I'm seriously not upset about losing to Anaheim in Game 3.

I promise.

It's not the loss that leaves something unpleasant niggling at the back of my mind. It's periods 1 and 2 of that game from the Stars' perspective that bother me. I don't know what it is that caused them to play that way, but I'm going for optimism here and saying that it was a mistake, but one they're going to correct.

I didn't post my predictions here for how many games it would take for each team to win their respective series, but I thought it would take 7 games for the Stars to pull it out. I haven't revised that estimate.

I think the Stars can do it. I think they're just as sick of playing the Ducks as I am watching the Ducks, so there you go.

...But, if I were running a wishlist for Game 4, it would look a little something like this:

  • Bench B.J. Crombeen. I like B.J., and I like the player he's going to be in a season, but seriously, dude needs to go back down to Iowa. Let someone else play. If you're going to scratch Miettinen, I've totally resigned myself to fate and I'm okay with that. Crombeen knows how to give a hit, but has yet to learn when to hit. I'm psyched to see what he can do after another season, but it's seriously not working out right now.
  • Play Mark Fistric. If anyone has 100% deserved a shot at the playoffs, it is Fistric. He's extremely solid and a good defenseman. Give him the chance, at least.
  • Someone Give Matty Norstrom A Gold Star. He at least gets an apology from me. While his play hasn't been absolutely top-notch, it's been so much better than his regular season play, shockingly enough. He's been good enough to make me take back bad things I've said about him. Better played, Norstrom!

In other news, let's take a look at my preferred teams for the playoffs:

Detroit Red Wings vs. Nashville Predators

So far, that crazy Russian Radulov and Co. seem to be doing their very bestest to win the Great Caitlin Playoff Derby Whositwhatsit. Seriously, Nashville just tied up the series.

2-2

San Jose Sharks vs. Calgary Flames

I feel a little dirty cheering for the Flames, but ah, what can a girl do? This series is kinda putting me to sleep.

2-2

Minnesota Wild vs. Colorado Avalanche (I lose either way, here.)

Look, I don't like the Avs, so by default I'll run to the Wild, but ... I haven't watched much of this series to tell you the truth.

2-2

Montréal Canadiens vs. Boston Bruins

Woo, Habs!

3-1,
in favor of Habs.

Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Ottawa Senators

The Pens SWEPT the Sens. Good job, team with more Russians!

4-0,
in favor of the Pens.

Washington Capitals
vs. Philadelphia Flyers

Come on Russian-loaded team of the NHL. You're Russia's OFFICIAL team. Let's not let the Motherland down, shall we?

2-1, in favor of the Flyers.

New Jersey Devils vs. New York Rangers

The Devils, apparently, failed to hop on board with my Playoff Plans. Damn it, Devils.

3-1, in favor of the Rangers.

___________________________


So far, I correctly predicted the Penguins to win it, and hopefully other teams will follow suit.

I have to refavor for Round 2, so that should be exciting.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

Fucking Wild. They completely blew game 4. It was absolutely horrible to watch. I can't believe I gave up three hours of valuable homework time for that.

I hope the Habs go in for the kill! I want to make sure they have safely advanced before I re-bury myself in the library.

Caitlin said...

Kirsten, I am so SO sorry about the Wild.

The Habs need to attack the Bruins with samurai swords or something. How rad would that be? It would certainly liven up that dull old series. (And seriously, Habs, just put Boston out of their misery and knock the final nail into the coffin already.)

Aww, that's sad that you have to RE-BURY yourself in the library.

Kirsten said...

Thanks. I wanted to kill someone after that game. Preferably the Avs fan I was watching with.

That shit would be SICK. Where can we get 23 samurai swords do you think?

Tis the season of studying and living in the library. I took a break today, but tomorrow after 2:30 I'll be back at my favorite table. I have a presentation to create, two long ass papers to write, and exams to study for.

I'll keep an eye on the Stars game tonight. I will die if the Ducks do well at all. I really loathe them.